Jimmy R. Summerlin, Jr.
Phone: (828) 322-4663
Fax: (828) 322-2023
Jimmy’s law practice includes bankruptcy law, commercial law, and corporate transactional law. He joined the firm in 2003. Jimmy recognizes that both individuals and businesses may find themselves in difficult financial situations due to factors like the depressed economy, job loss, medical issues, or divorce. He has helped navigate clients through the bankruptcy process in a professional and caring manner. Jimmy also serves as a Chapter 7 panel trustee for the Western District of North Carolina. In addition to his bankruptcy practice, Jimmy handles legal matters such as real estate, wills, trusts, and estates, and elder law. When not practicing law, Jimmy enjoys spending time with his family, faith, fishing and hunting.
Mr. Summerlin has been rated by his peers as being “preeminent” in his respective fields of law.
- North Carolina, 2003
- US Federal Courts for the Western District of North Carolina, 2004; Middle District of North Carolina 2005; Eastern District of North Carolina, 2007; Eastern District of Tennessee, 2012; Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2020.
- University of Tennessee College of Law, J.D. with a concentration in business transactions (magna cum laude), 2003
- University of Tennessee, Ph.D., 2000
- North Carolina State University, B.S. (cum laude), 1995 and M.S. in Agronomy, 1998
Awards and Recognitions:
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Recipient of the Order of the Coif
- Recipient of the Hilton A. Smith Graduate Fellowship at the University of Tennessee
- Recipient of the Hunton & Williams Legal Writing Award at the University of Tennessee
- Former Staff Editor of Transactions, the Tennessee Journal of Business Law
Professional and Community Activities:
- North Carolina Bar Association, Sections on Real Property and Bankruptcy law
- Catawba County Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees
- South Mountains State Park (NC), Park Advisory Committee (PAC)
- Friends of the South Mountains State Park, founding member